remove use of proxy in curl on Windows, as it is an invalid option
Curl on with (at least the one we ship) don't support proxy option.
It's been removed for the post of inventory part, but not the get of uuid, hence it fails
Updated by Nicolas CHARLES almost 6 years ago
- Status changed from New to Pending technical review
- Assignee changed from Nicolas CHARLES to Benoît PECCATTE
- Pull Request set to https://github.com/Normation/rudder-techniques/pull/466
Updated by Jonathan CLARKE over 5 years ago
- Status changed from Pending technical review to Discussion
- Assignee changed from Jonathan CLARKE to Nicolas CHARLES
I don't think simply removing the proxy option is a good idea.
The reason we introduced this is explained in #3383, but let me summarize: often the http_proxy environment variable is defined on servers, to enable tools to "get out" on the internet (for example to hit package repositories, download software, etc...).
However, these proxies are usually only configured to route HTTP traffic outside of the corporate network. But Rudder's HTTP requests almost always target a HTTP server inside the network, possibly in some sort of network-control-area, that is unknown (or deliberately forbidden) by the proxy server. This is why we currently force curl to use no proxy.
I understand that this Pull Request is based on the fact that the "--proxy" option doesn't exist on the version of curl for Windows you're using, but I'd like to be sure this is the best approach to fixing this. What are our other options?For example, some ideas:
- Are we just using a really old version of curl, and therefore upgrading would be enough?
- How does curl use/not use a proxy if the --proxy option is not available? It must be able to, this is basic HTTP-fu.
- Is there an equivalent mechanism in Windows to the http_proxy environment variable in UNIX that we could/should use?
Updated by Vincent MEMBRÉ over 5 years ago
- Status changed from Pending release to Released
This bug has been fixed in Rudder 2.10.7 and 2.11.4, which were released today.
- Announcement 2.10 2.11 * Changelog 2.10 2.11 * Download information: https://www.rudder-project.org/site/get-rudder/downloads/