User story #4505closed
Allow exclusion and composition of groups to gain more flexibility in Nodes targeted by a Rule
As of Rudder 2.9, you can only select Groups to target from a Rule.
The result is that all Nodes from those groups will be targetted by that Rule. (union of all nodes from these groups)
This is nice and easy to use but it can get very complicated
- When you want to exclude some nodes from a group, you need to create a very complicated group ( exclusion of Nodes )
- You want to apply a Rule on Nodes that checks both criteria, you need also to create a specific group (intersection of nodes)
To answer this, we need to change how we apply a Rule to a group a nodes by adding more flexibilty and composition.
Here is our plan to solve it completely;
- Add backend for that behavior #4506
- Modify current Rules screen to integrate Rule composition #4507
- Add count of matching nodes under the boxes
- Add "(double down arrow) Advanced options" link under green and red boxes, that "rolls down" a greyed out section that has just one option originally, "Combine these groups by < > Union < > Intersection"
- Add -> arrows to the left of green and red boxes so you can select groups in the tree, then click the ->
Some other ideas can come with this ( organisation of page, list of Nodes ....) but they will come in another issue.
To complete this, at least steap 1, 2 and 3 needs to be completed